New Mexico revisited

I met my nephew Robert in Albuquerque on Derby Day (May 4th).

His flight arrived at 9:00 pm, long after the race was over and I had somewhat

recovered from not having won even a dime on the Kentucky Derby.

Even mom bets the Derby, she just calls her bookie (me) to place her bets.

Robert and I spent a few days in Albuquerque, visiting the Petroglyph National Monument.

We then moved up near Santa Fe to Cochiti Lake which is another awesome Army Corp of Engineers site.

Thankfully Robert was there because the night after the move I spent a sleepless night due to abdominal pain. We went to an Urgent care facility in Santa Fe in the morning and the doctor diagnosed me with a hernia and sent me for an ultrasound. The ultrasound confirmed the diagnosis and I was referred to a surgeon.

After consulting with the surgeon and with my cardiologist, surgery was scheduled for May 23rd.

We managed to do a little sightseeing before Robert had to leave on the 12th.

We had a few adventures and shared a lot of laughs. I’m grateful that he was there just when I needed some help.

And what trip is complete without a little snow?

Robert flew back to San Diego on the 12th, at 5:00 am, I went home and back to bed. lol

My friend Tom arrived Monday afternoon to also help me. We spent Monday night in Albuquerque and moved Tuesday to Riana campground at Abiquiu Lake about 80 miles north of Santa Fe.

Tom has been summering in the West for over 20 years and really knows his way around.

We managed to do a little sightseeing in old Santa Fe.

We took a ride to Madrid (pronounced Mad-rid), it’s an artsy kind of hippie town and Ruby thoroughly enjoyed it.

The surgery was successful and very uneventful.

I laid around for a few days before we decided to take a ride to the top of Santa Fe Mountain.

Amazing what a few thousand feet in elevation does to the weather.

We also went to Taos, and visited the Rio Grande Gorge.

Ruby found some folks to bark at.

WARNING, the following photo may not be appropriate for those with 20/20 vision.

1 week after surgery, I received clearance from the surgeon to resume my traveling.

My immense gratitude to Tom for everything you have done to help me through this.

Next stop Monument Valley

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *